Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Gratitude from the president

In the latest edition of BrookTales, PTA President Barb Peterson reflects on the volunteer spirit evident at our school even as other PTAs in our district struggle to recruit helping hands.
Without our volunteers, there is no Fall Family Fun Night, no classroom parties, no enrichment classes, no Reflections or Braniacs - no PTA. Thank you for everything you do for the PTA and for our children.
Here are Barb's thoughts on the topic:

Believe it or not, one of my favorite aspects of serving as president of Brookdale's PTA is the opportunity I have on a regular basis to go to meetings.
Certainly there are times when I would much rather be doing something other than go to yet another meeting. But more often than not, I come away from those meetings with a much greater understanding of the workings of our school district.  It helps me understand the difficulty in moving such a large machine, but also helps me understand the basis for so many things that happen. And I love listening to our superintendent, Dr. Kathy Birkett, speak. She always makes me laugh. 
In November, I attended one such meeting, and spent a few minutes in a round table discussion with PTA presidents from other elementary schools in the district. We were discussing the issues our schools are facing with respect to volunteers and participation. I listened to quite a few ask for ideas on how to get more people involved and how to increase participation in fundraising. 
As I listened to some of the ideas, I realized what a great school community of which I am a part! Brookdale is already successfully doing so many of the ideas that were brought up. 
In the years of my involvement with the PTA, I do not remember having to discontinue the valuable activities provided to the kids by the PTA due to lack of volunteers. And though we sometimes have made budget decisions in anticipation of lower fundraising participation, we have always come out ahead at the end. 
  Wow. 
How blessed we are, in this season of thankfulness, for a GREAT group of parents supporting the education of our children. 
I recognize that this role as president does not always come easy at some schools. So I wish to say a hearty collective “THANK YOU” to all of you who are so dedicated to organizing and administering many activities as well as stepping in when there are needs that come up. 
Brookdale is a great school. We have a very
committed administration and staff as well as a solid family base for our students. 
I want to wish you all a very Merry Christmas or Happy Holiday and a Happy New Year!  May you have some wonderful time together with your
family!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Visits